Who We Are
Our project team’s goal is to support organizations in evaluating the real-world economic and environmental benefits of advanced transportation technologies in commercial fleet applications.Meet Our Team
CE-CERT is recognized throughout the world for its real-world emissions test lab and impressive breadth of technical research.
GNA specializes in market development and deployment of low- and zero-emission transportation technologies, infrastructure and fuels.
What We Do
Laboratory & In-Use Emission Testing
Satisfy grant-related obligations for emissions testing of government-funded vehicles and equipment.Learn More
Total Cost of Ownership Assessment
Confirm the advertised benefits of advanced technology platforms and alternative fuel powertrains.Learn More
Product Development & Certification
Navigate the process of designing, optimizing and certifying advanced transportation technologies and fuels.Learn More
Translate technical data into impactful messaging for a range of stakeholders spanning the transportation, energy, and public sectors.Learn More
YEARS OF ADVANCED TRANSPORTATION AND CONSULTING EXPERIENCE (GNA)
YEARS OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH EXPERIENCE (UCR)
PUBLISHED TECHNICAL REPORTS ON LOW- AND ZERO-EMISSION FUELS AND TECHNOLOGIES
EDUCATIONAL EVENTS HOSTED ON ADVANCED CLEAN TRANSPORTATION FUELS AND TECHNOLOGIES
Game Changer: Next Generation Heavy-Duty Natural Gas Engines Fueled by Renewable Natural Gas
- An on-road heavy-duty vehicle powered by a near-zero-emission engine (certified to 0.02 g/bhp-hr) has tailpipe NOx emissions that are comparable to – or possibly lower than – the amount of NOx emitted to produce electricity used to charge a similar heavy-duty battery-electric vehicle (HD BEV).
- RNG has the lowest carbon intensity rating of key transportation fuels and can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40 to 125% or more. Studies from a range of reputable sources estimate that sufficient feedstock exists in the U.S. today to produce enough RNG to displace tens of billions of diesel gallons.
- There are three types of fuel-technology HDV platforms that can achieve zero or near-zero emissions. Dollar-for-dollar, Ultra-Low NOx HD NGVs fueled by RNG deliver the most cost-effective NOx and GHG reductions.
Renewable Diesel as a Major Transportation Fuel in California: Opportunities, Benefits & Challenges
- Renewable Diesel (RD) used in California’s transportation sector achieves a volume-weighted carbon intensity rating that is about 66 percent lower than petroleum diesel (mostly ultra-low sulfur diesel, or ULSD)
- RD is substantially similar to ULSD in its physical and chemical characteristics and can be directly used in existing diesel-powered vehicles and ULSD infrastructure.
- RD can be produced from a wide array of renewable, low-carbon-intensity feedstocks using existing oil refinery capacity.
- RD appears to significantly improve performance and reduce life-cycle costs of diesel particulate filters (DPFs), which are widely used to control PM emissions on post-2006 on-road HDVs (and some off-road HDVs).
Ultra-Low NOx Near-Zero Natural Gas Vehicle Evaluation ISX12N 400
- The ISX12N NG engine showed NOx emissions below the CARB optional low NOx standard (0.02 g/bhp-hr), averaging between 0.0012 and 0.02 g/bhp-hr for the various hot start tests.
- The NOx emissions were well controlled at low loads (i.e., Creep and Near Dock cycles) and during cruise conditions (i.e., Regional and HHDDT Cruise). This suggests stoichiometric NG engines are a good choice for regional NOx mitigation strategies where light loads are common.
- In contrast, recent studies by UCR suggest that 99% of the diesel trucks that operate within 10 miles of the ports (certified to 2010 EPA emissions standards) have in-use emissions of up to 1 g/bhp-hr NOx—largely attributed to poor performance of aftertreatment systems during low duty cycle operation.
Participate in GNA and UCR’s upcoming events to gain the information, resources, and industry contacts needed to successfully evaluate and implement advanced transportation and infrastructure projects.
Advanced Clean Transportation Expo 2020
Long Beach Convention Center
Long Beach, CA
The largest advanced transportation and clean fleet event, gathering more than 3,500 attendees to learn about the technologies and fuels driving the future.
California Dairy Sustainability Summit
Showcasing new ways for dairy farmers to continue improving environmental sustainability, develop new business opportunities, and reduce on-farm costs.